Library of SDMCET
Library – Overview
Welcome to Knowledge & Learning Resource Centre of SDMCET acts as a resource hub of the college and is easily accessible to its users providing uncompromising information to its users in a fully integrated and dynamic environment. The functional infrastructure, state of art facility & well trained staff of the center provides a good ambience for self-learning. Excellent support from both Management & Users has geared to build extensive collection of conventional as well as digital formats.
The automated services are accessible on the Campus wide network (24×7) through library web pages. The web pages provide comprehensive information about library resources and services. High quality resources support learning and research. The Library has automated its functions to increase efficiency in routine activities and enable easy search of the bibliographic details of the holdings through EPAC (E- Catalogue).The library supports wifi access for all its online resources in the college and hostels supported by remote access outside the campus. Digital Library helps to access all digital content & previous year question papers of the center accessible on the campus wide network.
Library is centrally located in the campus housed in independent building having a plinth area of over 2500 Sq mtrs, having total seating capacity of 550 students at a time. The Library has over 60,000 volumes which are updated regularly by way of adding new collections in diverse formats in the form of text books, reference books, reports, proceedings, abstracts & indexes, encyclopedias, data books, standards (National & International) Journals, Audio Visual resources, CDs, educational videos and thesis/reports.
Library is automated by using EASYLIB-Library management software. It is a multi-user package for effective management of a library from all aspects. Online catalogue of the library and the e-resources can be accessed on the campus network. The library subscribes to nearly 121 Technical Periodicals and More than 8600 International e-journals from IEL, Springer Link, Taylor and Francis, Science Direct and ProQuest. In addition there are more than 2000 Bound volumes of journals, 2500 CD’s & DVD’S, & IS Standards.
Guidance and assistance is available from any member of Library staff. More Information about how we can help you make best use of our resources can be found in the using the Library section of our pages. We hope you find these pages useful and informative.
VISION & MISSION
The Knowledge & Learning Resource Centre is an integral component of SDM College of Engineering and Technology. The Centre work in partnership with members of SDMCET to create & share knowledge through.
- Space designed for changing patterns of scholarship and learning as well as the changing needs of faculty and students.
- Diffusion and development of rich and diverse research materials regardless of format, location or mode of access.
- Managing and transforming research and learning through the creation of digital libraries, electronic publishing services and open access awareness.
- Customizing services tailored to individual needs and delivered whenever possible without regard for time and space constraints.
- Effective organization of knowledge through coordinated planning and staff development that responds to strategic objectives of the centre.
- Through promotion, the centre makes people aware of the resources available to them, and through innovation, it makes access to these resources easier.
The Library’s mission is to provide comprehensive resources and services in support of the research, teaching, and learning needs of the college community. To fulfill this mission, the Library commits to:
- Synergize research, teaching, and learning needs of its users.
- Develop, encourage, and sustain expertise, skill, commitment and an innovative spirit in its staff.
- Maintain and build collections and create tools to support research, teaching, and learning.
- Collaborate with other members of the college to enrich the research and learning community.
- Ensure the preservation and long-lasting availability of Library collections and resources.
- Transforming Local, National, and International Library and Information initiatives. Secure place for study, research, work, reflection and interaction.
Library Working Hours
|Monday – Friday||9:30AM – 4:30PM|
|Saturday||9:30AM – 1:00PM|
|Monday – Saturday||8:00AM – 9:00PM|
|Sundays/Holidays||10:00AM – 2:00PM|
|Monday – Saturday||8:00AM – 9:00PM|
|Sundays/Holidays||10:00AM – 9:00PM|
|LIBRARIAN OFFICE/PERIODICAL SECTION/WEBINARIUM|
|Monday – Friday||9:00AM – 5:00PM|
|Saturday||9:00AM – 1:00PM|
LIBRARY RULES & REGULATIONS
To provide an atmosphere conducive to appropriate use of its services and facilities, the students are required to comply with the Library rules and regulations listed below:
- Members entering the Library must carry ID cards.
- Books are issued on Borrower’s ID card only.
- Books are issued Monday – Friday 09.30 A.M. to 4.30 P.M. and on Saturday 9.30 A.M. to 1.00 P.M. on all working days.
- Overnight Books are issued One hour before closing of the library on all Working days & Holidays.
- The Temporary Library card is issued to those who have not yet received Permanent ID Card from office, which is NOT TRANSFERABLE Sub-lending of books is a misuse of this privilege and is to be avoided.
- Special care should always be taken that the library card is not misplaced or lost. The loss it any is to be reported immediately to the librarian.
- Duplicate Library card will be issued at the discretion of the Librarian and on payment of Rs. 25/- only.
- Hand-books, Reference books, Textbooks, Periodicals, Encyclopedia, standards and other damaged books are not been issued. However, there books are to be consulted within the Library premises only.
- No one is supposed to write /damage on Library books and Journals. The person shall be held responsible for any damage caused to the books, Journals or any other property of the Library is strictly punishable.
- If one volume of a set is damaged or lost, the borrower will be liable to place the whole set or pay the cost of the whole set.
- Do not ear mark the paper of pages of a book.
- Users of the library must respect the rights and privileges of all other users.
- These rules assume that students, staff, and faculty will take responsibility for abiding by the quiet policy. The library staff may speak to you about these policies, not to be the “noise police,” but to remind you of our shared responsibility to each other. Students and faculty do have the right to remind library staff of the policy as well!
- All library materials must be charged out in accordance with established procedures before taken from library premises.
- Failure to comply with one or more of the library’s established regulations may result in suspension of library privileges. In disputed cases, the decision of the person-in-charge is binding.
- Creating a public disturbance, including disruptive noise. Obscene and/or abusive language or gestures, Harassing or threatening behavior is not permitted inside the library.
- Library is a complete SILENCE ZONE No discussions are entertained. All library patrons should pay special attention to those around them and report any sort of disturbance.
LOSS OF BOOKS:
- In case of loss of a book the borrower must replace the lost book with the latest edition, along with the overdue charges.
- However, in case of not being able to replace the book, they are required to pay five times of the latest price of the book.
DIGITAL LIBRARY RULES / E-ACCESS RULES
- Restrictions on access and downloading of licensed e-Resources.
- The e-Resources are licensed for the non-profit educational use of the Institute. Copyright law governs use of these e-Resources.
- Doing the following things are strictly prohibited.
- Systematic downloading, distributing, or retaining substantial portions.
- Forwarding electronic versions of articles or the use of electronic articles for commercial purposes.
- Strictly prohibited to download entire journal issue or databases or an entire e-book.
- Why should we not do the above things?
- Improper use can result in denial of access for the whole Institute to all electronic journals from a given publisher.
- Access to e-Resources is based on license agreements with publishers.
- Library users are permitted to make digital copies of individual documents, that is, to download an individual document temporarily to their own hard disc for non-commercial purposes only.
- Publishers keep track of patterns of use and where the publishers suspect misuse in the form of systematic downloading (eg. more than one article from an issue, continuous downloading from a particular journal etc.)
- They will cut off access requiring Library to investigate and take action on those who have misused the e-Resources.
The library collection includes following types/numbers of documents.
|International Journals (e-Journals)||8000+|
Organization of Collections
|Ground Floor||Circulation Section, Web EPAC, Book Bank Section.|
|First Floor||Librarian Chamber, Reception Counter, Reprography Section, Book Processing Section, News papers-Periodical Section, Reading Room I, Reading Room II, Reading Room for PG Student /Staff Reading-III, Digital Library, Reference Section, & Book Bank Section.|
Facilities & Services
OVER NIGHT ISSUE BOOK:
Overnight books can be issued to the students against the Individual Identity card. A student can borrow one book from reference section for an overnight at 8.00 P.M and returnable by 08.00AM next day.
INTER LIBRARY LOAN SERVICE:
The library is a member of the DELNET. It offers inter-library loan service to its users for the books, journals which are not available in the SDMCET library by procuring them from number of major Institutions and libraries in India through Developing Library Network (DELNET), in turn library also lends its resources to DELNET.
The library services at SDMCET College of Engineering and Technology are provided to student, staff & faculty member for updating their knowledge and supporting the research, and teaching learning activities. These services are provided through the central library and departmental libraries keeping in view the fast changes in technology the knowledge base of the library is updated regularly by way of adding new literature in the form of text books, reference books, reports, proceedings, abstracts & indexes, encyclopedias, data books, standards (National & International) Journals.
The Library maintains a separate reference collection consisting of Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Directories, Competitive Books, General Books, Handbooks, Technical Data, Almanacs, Atlases, Bibliographies, etc.
- The library offers online catalogue facility, is available to users through intranet for search the Library resources.
- Collection of Previous Question Papers: Old Question Paper Bank facility is available for the reference use.
- Library maintains a collection of reference books consisting of encyclopedias, dictionaries, directories, handbooks, technical data, almanacs, atlases, bibliographies, etc.
- The Library provides a sufficient and separate room for reading purpose to the faculty members & PG Students.
- Government Book Bank Facility is available for the SC/ST students.
- Library maintains news paper clipping service pertaining to events happenings of our College.
- WiFi Enabled: The library is enabled with WiFi connection to enable students to access internet from their Laptop.
- The library is under CCTV surveillance.
- User Awareness Programs Service: Library is organizing the various awareness programs among the users to know about the library resources, the library services, good reading habits, creative events and activities for maximum utilization of the library. Any user who has interest to know more about the library services should contact Librarian.
- Periodical Services: Library subscribing a good number of technical journals (National & International) and general magazines and journals, these can be display department wise in the periodical section.
- Digital Library Section: is available for accessing the online resources subscribed through VTU Consortium. These resources are IP enabled and can be accessed anywhere in the campus. Remote access facility is also provided to the users through Knimbus, user can access these resources outside the campus also.
- Current Awareness Service [New Arrivals]: In order to provide the latest information to its users, library displaying the new arrivals of Books, List of journals received, announcement of library notices, information about the events of the library.
- Special Encouragement Scheme for Toppers & Sports Services: Toppers of each branch for every semester are facilitated with the extra-books for entire semester & one extra book will be issued to those who have participated in national level sports activities.
- CD-DVD Service: A student/Staff can issue 2 CD-DVD’s from library which is available in Library CD Collection.
- News Paper clipping Service.
- Photocopying Services.
- Book Lending Service.
- Reference Service.
- Document Delivery Services.
- Resource Sharing.
- Request A Purchase.
- NPTEL Lectures Video.
- 24/7 Access to E-Resources.
- Extended Library Opening Hours.
All the faculty, students and staff members of SDMCET and Research scholars of VTU (Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum), who are engaged in Research under the faculty of SDMCET are users.
Application for membership should be made on the prescribed form available from the library (Only for newly recruited faculty & Staff).
We have institutional membership with the following major libraries:
- Central Manufacturing Technology Institute (CMTI), Bangalore
- Developing Library Network (DELNET), New Delhi
- Institute of Engineers of India (IEI), Kolkata
|Category of Membership||Minimum No. of Books||Loan of Period|
|UG & MBA||5 Books||14 Days|
|M.Tech||5 Books||14 Days|
|Research Scholars||2 Books||14 Days|
|Faculty Members||8 Books||One Semester|
BOOK BANK SCHEME FOR SC/ST STUDENTS
The students who belong to SC/ST category, they can borrow upto 3 books from this scheme apart from general category issue. Books are issued to the students for one complete semester.
|Category of Membership||Minimum No. of Books||Loan of Period|
|UG & MBA||03 Books||One Semester|
|M.Tech||03 Books||One Semester|
LATE FEE STRUCTURE
|Types of Material||User||First 14 Days||Beyond 14 Days|
|Books||All Categories||Rs. 1/- per day per item||Rs. 5/- per day per item|
Note: If the book is lost or damaged the same has to be replaced by a new book.
Online catalogue facility is available to users through intranet. By clicking this link EPAC or URL: http://192.168.14.3/EPAC/EPAC_selorg.asp?status=exp search page is opened for search a Library resources.
- The main features of the EPAC are to check the availability of books by author, title, keyword etc, to find loan periods, renew, or place holds.
- Check your library account for what is issued out and when the books are due.
- To know new arrivals of books and magazines, digital subscription list etc.
The following e -resources subscribed for all branches of engineering for UG and PG through VTU e-resource consortium for the year 2022.
|Sl. No.||Publisher||Subjects||Total No. of e-Journals||URL|
|1.||Science Direct (Elsevier)||Engineering + CS + EE + ME + EC and CV||296||https://www.sciencedirect.com/|
|2.||IEEE Proceedings Order Plan (POP)||Important IEEE conference proceedings||100||https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/home.jsp|
|3.||Springer Nature||Engineering+CS+ME+CV+Mathematics+Physics+Chemistry and Material Science||690||http://link.springer.com|
|4.||Taylor & Francis||Engineering + CSE + ME + CV + Architecture and Allied Science||555||https://www.tandfonline.com/|
|6.||ProQuest||Advanced Technology Collections, Aerospace and Materials Science & Engineering Databases||3900||https://www.proquest.com/165290|
|7.||NetAnalytiks’ Sententia||Sententia is a formal writing analysis, Quick editor, Analytics dashboard, and assistive tool for students and professionals.||https://sententia.online/|
|1.||Science Direct (Elsevier)||Engineering and Allied Branches of Engineering||436||https://www.sciencedirect.com|
|2.||Taylor & Francis||Engineering||4950||https://www.taylorfrancis.com/|
|3.||McGraw Hill Education||Engineering + Basic Science Subjects||505||http://mcgrawhilleducation.pdn.ipublishcentral.com/|
|4.||New Age International||Engineering and Allied Branches of Engineering||220||https://digital.elib4u.com|
|5.||Packt (Professional)||Comp Science & Information Technology||5002||https://prod.packtpub.com/in/|
|6.||Mint eBooks||Mintbook’s eLearning solutions are known for its easy-to-use interface and gamified approach to learning. However, what truly sets us apart from others is our ability to provide a 360-Degree approach to learning, which ensures that users land a well-rounded training program.||3469 e-books||https://sdmcet.mintbook.in/university/my-dashboard|
OPEN SOURCE JOURNALS
|Sl. No.||List of Open Journals||URLs|
|1.||Directory of Open Access Journals |
Provides access to over 1500 + learned journals
covering all major disciplines.
|2.||NISCAIR FULL TEXT JOURNALS||http://nopr.niscair.res.in/|
|3.||BENTHAM 175 open access journals||http://www.bentham.org/open/a-z.htm|
|4.||High Wire Press – |
Earths largest free-full science archives
(journals) 320 journals
|5.||Institute of Physics electronic journals(IOP) 60 e-journals||http://iopscience.iop.org/journals|
|6.||Journal of the Indian Institute of Science||http://journal.library.iisc.ernet.in/|
|7.||Down to Earth||http://www.downtoearth.org.in|
|8.||Indian National Science Academy journals (INSA)||https://www.insaindia.res.in/|
|10.||Open Access Journals Search Engine||http://www.oajse.com/|
|11.||MEDKNOW Publications Journals||http://www.medknow.com|
|13.||Directory of Open Access Repositories||http://www.opendoar.org/|
|14.||Journal of Nanotechnology||http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jnt/|
|15.||Nano Technology Open Access Journals||http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology/|
|16.||SWAYAM – FREE Online Education||https://swayam.gov.in/|
Important web links for library services are available through Online.
- SDMCET INSTITUTIONAL REPOSITORY: http://192.168.10.8:8080/jspui/
- WEB OPAC: http://192.168.14.3/EPAC/EPAC_selorg.asp?status=exp
- VTU E-LEARNING: http://elearning.vtu.ac.in/
- NPTEL (E- Learning): http://nptel.ac.in/
- National Digital Library of India: https://ndl.iitkgp.ac.in/
- The Institution of Engineers (India): https://www.ieindia.org/
MAPMyAccess: MAPMyAccess is a Remote Access Solution that is specifically designed to facilitate off- campus and anytime-anywhere access to digital content that is owned by SDMCET library. Users have the privilege of accessing library content from any device in a seamless manner by leveraging secured cloud hosting services that have a guaranteed 99.99 % uptime.https://sdmcet.mapmyaccess.com
Campus of SDMCET: 70+ Acre Lush campus
A 70-acre oasis in North Karnataka, SDMCET, Dharwad with its impressive architecture, lush verdant woods and landscaped gardens, provides an idyllic environment to engage in technology, academics and learning. SDMCET has a world-class infrastructure that facilitates excellence in teaching, research, and other professional activities.
Our Students Review
To train the students to become Quality Engineers with High Standards of Professionalism and Ethics who have a Positive Attitude, a Perfect blend of Techno-Managerial Skills and Problem solving ability.
Vast Campus, Family like Faculty, Disciplined and Strict about Rules and Regulations in College, Exam Conduction and Paper Reviewing after correction.
2018 Batch – ME Branch
The teaching faculty and the campus is good. The overall college campus is so nice. There is also hostel facility for both boys and girls which includes a total of 5 hostels. The campus is so vast that you can discover so many things around. The placement activities are really good, the faculty provides training for the placement to the students.
2021 batch – CE Branch
Excellent college to study and acquire knowledge and most your enjoy the college environment and the hostel Life. Every faculty will become friendly and good health and hospitality is ensured by the management.
2018 Batch – ME Branch
College is good, faculties are qualified many of them are having M.tech and PhD degrees and time to time workshops and seminars are there. Our Seniors are very helpful and they always help us, there is a Ganesha temple in the college which provides ambience and also a cool and soothing environment in the campus.
2021 Batch – ME Branch
Faculties in sdmcet are very good, many of them are interactive and having an experience of more than 10 years time to time workshops, events seminars are there to give us industry exposure.
2021 Batch – ISE Branch
This college always plays not only a college role but its like second home to every student who studies there. Great experience to study in this institution. It transfers a student into a professional engineer. Professors are too good and teach not only the syllabus but also the life lessons. Nice campus, great mess and hostel.
2018 Batch – CE Branch
A very good institution with large campus and greenery everywhere, institution conducts all cultural events and as well as celebrates most significant religious festivals also. Student who gets here is very much blessed. Teachers here become our best friends and guide us in all our difficulties.
2019 Batch – ISE Branch
No. of Companies Visited